Brilliant People Saying Brilliant Things, Brilliantly

Bring it ...

Monday, February 20, 2012

Religionless Religion

Dear fellow religious zealots and supernaturalists,

What do you think of this article? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204883304577221603720817864.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_read

I think the way he presupposes that religion is, at its best, communal therapy, is incredibly condescending. I guess he thinks that argument has already been made successfully. Also, I think his vision of a communal restaurent obliterating interpersonal class, race, and gender conflict is naive. He seems to be suggesting that the communal love in a religious group is produced simply by virtue of community. For me personally, the theology and real spiritual power behind what we do in our church community is what took the conflict out of my heart. No community could have ever made be nice to people, let alone selflessly love people, without the theology and the Spirit. Maybe that works for some people though. I'm open to any defenses of this article but I think it's a weak attempt to reclaim what secularization has destroyed without reclaiming belief. What do you all think?

No comments:

Post a Comment