Brilliant People Saying Brilliant Things, Brilliantly

Bring it ...

Friday, January 20, 2012

Washington Post Article This Morning

This article fits what we read about "Mormon Jesus" today on the Washington Post blog.

2 comments:

  1. Check out this quote from the 1850s:

    JD 6:227 Joseph Young
    How is it now? Why, it is popular by the Christian world to acknowledge Jesus to be the Saviour. The Catholics all acknowledge Jesus to be the Saviour. The doctrine has become popular in the world, so much so that nearly the whole world now acknowledge that Christ truly was the Saviour, the Redeemer, the Son of God; and they believe on him. Will people be persecuted for this? No. You may go into all ranks of society in the world, and they will receive you, if you are a Christian; but you must mind one thing—you must not name "Mormonism"—you must not say that Joseph was a man that you believed in; for the moment you do this you are in jeopardy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1860's

    JD 16:306, John Taylor
    If we would examine Christianity there is something peculiar about that. We call ourselves Christians, that is, we Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians, Congregationalists, Episcopalians and "Mormons," we all call ourselves Christians. Well, perhaps we are, and then, perhaps we are not; it is a matter that would bear investigation, I think; and, then, I think, too, that it is very proper, as I said at the commencement, that we should be honest with ourselves about all things, and especially in religion and the service and worship of God. "Well, but my father was a Methodist, and I am one;" "my father was a Presbyterian, and I am one;" my father was a 'Jumper," and I am one;" "my father was a Mohammedan, and I am one;" "my father was a worshiper of Buddha, and I am one;" and among us Christians we are Episcopalians, Wesleyans, Presbyterians, and members of the various professional phases descended from that remarkable man, Martin Luther, or Catholics or Greeks. Let us examine these things for a little while; or, at least, try to go to the foundation. Believing in the Bible, we will not go at once into these outside systems, but examine our own for a little while, and see how it stands, and how we stand in relation to it.

    ReplyDelete